Friday, January 14, 2005

I did not want to get involved, but I think if I don't say anything, I might go crazy. The basic situation is that R. Nosson Slifkin, author of works dealing with the relationship of Torah with modern Science, has been put under a ban for saying certain "heretical" things. I am not going to go through all the details, for these can be found at various other blogs, but there is one newer development that really bothers me. It seems that Dr. Gerald Schroeder, author of Genesis and the Big Bang and the Science of G-d, has now also been harmed by this ban, for his lectures on the age of the universe have been pulled from the Aish HaTorah website until reviewed by "Today's leading Torah scholars." Now, while I am not a big fan of Aish HaTorah and things they teach (not for discussion now), this is getting out of hand. While it might not be my place to go up against the leading Torah scholars, I really have to question their judgment when it comes to "bans" and heresy hunting. Why are we so afraid of the search for truth? How can we deny intellectual honesty? This feels like Rabbis trying to control their constituents.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

b/c Slifkin writes anti-Torah things! its not a search for truth to read his works; its a waste of time! i was told that he confuses the days of creation!

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

plus, there's thousands of other Seforim you can read if u want the truth! why davka do you want the one that's been banned!??!?!?

why not try a book by Rav Avigdor Miller ZTL?

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home